Sunday, June 19, 2005

Freedoms Great Foe
As I open the door I can taste the salt
I step onto the pavement and my feet start to burn
The breeze picks up as I slide out my board
The sand cools my feet while the hum clears my mind
My energy grows as I rub on the wax
The whitewater transfers its energy into my body
Wave after wave tries to hold me back
I push past each one without relent
Joining the line I begin to escape reality
Sitting there waiting for something to challenge
My eyes catch my foe through the glare off the water
As it approaches I glimpse into the future
Leaving my inhibitions in the wake behind me
My foe rears up showing off its might
I let go of all the energy stored in my body
Racing my foe to that perfect spot
As it tries to throw me I grab at the rails
Pushing myself up into that feeling of freedom

Just a little something I came up with about a year ago while I was dreaming about going surfing. It came back to my mind as this weekend comes to an end and I've yet to touch the water. Unfortunately it's not the best of creations but it sort of explains why surfing is so therapeutic to me. There is a lot of word-play in there, and even more mixed meanings, but I think if you know me you will have no trouble understanding it all.

No comments: